Saturday, February 8, 2014

Personalize Your Homes Decor - Creative Crafts To Create

When the word creative is used the response many times is "I'm not creative, I can't make things". Well I don't buy into that response, my response to that is "Yes, You Can". Think back to when you were a child (for some of us - this author included - it's been awhile) did you ever hesitate when it came to making something in art, probably not. 

Crafts are a perfect way to add a real personal unique touch to your home, not to mention how proud you'll feel when something you've made yourself is commented on by family and friends.  

Being a book lover, I really like this idea. You could have a different bookmark for every book, or give them away as gifts. Another idea would be to fill a pretty bowl or basket with these and simply display them on a side table or desk.

Desktop Organizer
A tidy, organized desk - who would not love that. Now I don't know about you but if I took the time to make an attractive binder (like the one pictured above) I'd feel guilty not keeping paperwork organized. You could use this for organizing photographs, recipe cards, children's artwork pretty much anything you can think of.

Butterfly Cloches
Imagine how cute this would be for a Spring centerpiece. Because the butterflies are glued onto pieces of wire they could easily be swapped out for other seasonal items. Flowers for the summer, mini pumpkins for fall, snowflakes for Christmas or during the winter season. Endless possibilities.

Hoop Art
Ordinary embroidery hoops with decorative fabric stretched around them and hung on the wall, you certainly can't get any easier than this.


Clipboard Art
This is something I've done and had a lot of fun with it. I had a theme for each board and used all types of materials - scrapbook paper, fabric, paint, letters, buttons. Just about anything that can be glued down will work.

I made my boards a little different from the directions on Better Homes & Gardens website.
  • Paint both sides of board with a neutral color paint
  • Cut out pieces from fabric, scrapbook paper, magazines etc.
  • Layer the cutouts onto board using Mod-Podge. This created a type of collage.
  • When totally dry, sealed front of board with a clear sealer.
  • When sealer was dry I finished off the board by adding letters, buttons, metal embellishments.
  • Last I tied a coordinating color ribbon around the top clip.
So have some fun and remember you don't have to recreate any project perfectly. The photos (and directions) are meant to give you ideas and inspiration. In fact, I think by changing things slightly it then really does become uniquely yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment