Monday, February 3, 2014

You'll Discover Something New, Everytime You Open A Book


Do you remember back in school - Book Reports - Book Fairs - Required Reading - I do and I also remember how annoying it all was. Another thought from then was "When I get out of school, I'm never going to read another book, well for awhile that was true.

Oh the occasional newspaper or magazine but not an actual book, my grandmother changed that. She loved to read pretty much anything but what she really loved was books and because I absolutely adored her I decided to start reading myself. Oh, and I must also mention that my love of "Hard Cover Books" came from her. My reading interest primarily revolve around - Biography's - History - Fantasy and Fiction (written by certain authors).

I'd like to share some (this post would be miles long if I mentioned every book) of my favorite books. Some you may already know but perhaps there will be one or two that might peak your interest.



Walter Cronkite - A Reporter's Life - He has been called the most trusted man in America. His 60-year-long journalistic career has spanned the Great Depression, several wars, and the extraordinary changes that have engulfed our nation over the last two-thirds of the 20th century.    "And That's The Way It Is"


Katharine Hepburn - Me, Stories Of My Live  -  Admired and beloved by movie audiences for over sixty years, four-time Academy Award-winner Katharine Hepburn is an American classic. Now Miss Hepburn breaks her long-kept silence about her private life in this absorbing and provocative memoir.



Katharine Graham - Personal History - An extraordinarily frank, honest, and generous book by one of America's most famous and admired women, Personal History is, as its title suggests, a book composed of both personal memoir and history. 



My Name Escapes Me: The Diary of a Retiring Actor - Alex Guinness  - Having filled roles in films as varied as Lawrence of Arabia and Star Wars, Guinness is one of the most distinguished and beloved - movie actors of his generation. His charmingly sincere diary entries offer a glimpse of the private side of his often very public life. 



I truly enjoy a writer that has the ability to bring you into the story, make you feel you can actually see the characters, hear their conversations and be able to picture the scene clearly in your head. The authors of the next two books have that ability in spades.



  - Scotland ...where the fields flourish with greenery, the hills bloom with purple, and the lochs glitter with the bright blue of the sky. September...when the heather is in full flower, the first chill of autumn cools the air, and the countryside stirs with hunt balls, dinner parties, and dance. September. . . a story of homecomings and heartbreaks, friendships, betrayals, forgiveness and love.



Firefly Summer - Maeve Binchy  -  The small town of Mountfern is peaceful and friendly, an unchanging background for a golden childhood. In long, hot summers the children fish and swim or play in the ivy-clad ruins of Fernscourt, the great house that burned down during the Troubles...

There is a Chinese Proverb that reads "A book is like a garden carried in the pocket".  So grab a book and watch your garden grow.


Book


No comments:

Post a Comment