Monday, September 1, 2014

Three Weeks Until The Official Begining Of Fall

Fall Decorating - Houzz

According to the calendar the official beginning of fall is the 22nd of September, although with the projected forecast this up coming week you'd never know it's only three weeks away. As I mentioned in a previous post, I don't start decorating for fall until later into the month but I'm really over summer and saying I'm chomping at the bit for cooler weather might be a bit of an understatement.

Fall Decorating - Houzz

While updating my ideas books at Houzz today, I came across some really beautiful pictures of fall decorating - both inside and out - and thought maybe a small preview of what's just around the corner might help ease that chomping or make it worse I don't know. Anyway here are some of those pictures and hopefully it will maybe give you some new ideas and not totally drive you crazy waiting a little longer to decorate.


Fall Decorating - Houzz
I really like the way the ferns and ivy have been mixed in with Autumn themed items. I'm guessing the ferns and ivy leaves are artificial, which is perfect as they can be used over again for another arrangement. I also like the variation of sizes used, this allows the arrangement to make a real statement.

Fall Decorating - Houzz

Normally I'm not a big fan of symmetry - I like things to have a more natural less structured feel - but this mantel is well done. The mix of fall items and color blends really well with the everyday objects. That's something I like to try and do, mix the seasonal decor into what is already displayed, that's not to say I don't put somethings away to make room. I tend to have a "Less is More" philosophy, too many items just equal clutter and as fall decorating is only once a year, you want your special items to take center stage.


Fall Decorating - Houzz

Another example of a display put together with symmetry in mind, but as before I like the look. The use of a large grapevine cone on the left and a oblong shaped pumpkin on the right help to break up the structure just a bit. I love using natural items made out of grapevine, it just seems to add to the feel of what Autumn is all about.


Fall Decorating - Houzz

A close-up of the mantel pictured above, how can you not help but get into the fall decorating mood when looking at this.


Fall Decorating - Houzz

Of course no fall decorating would be complete without sprucing up the front of our homes. Pumpkins, Colorful Mums, a Wreath on the Front Door and Cornstalks. I really like the idea of using fresh cut green stalks, something different from the norm. Another item pictured here that I like is the candle lantern, candle light and Autumn just seem to fit together.

Fall Decorating - Houzz

If you do no other outdoor decorating a wreath on the front door is a must for fall. The colors in these Hydrangeas is gorgeous - just seems to shout out "It's Fall", I use these same color flowers in a grapevine wreath I put together every year. In fact our oldest daughter and son-in-law recently painted their front and back doors black (love black doors) and I mentioned to her that a wreath like this would make such a statement against those doors.


Fall Decorating - Houzz

Most of us put together a special fall centerpiece for the table but let's not forget the table settings. Now I know you don't set your table like this for everyday meals but for a get together with friends or even some thing special for your family why not. This setting is so simple but I think what gives it that fall feel is the natural hand-made napkin ring. You may already have dinnerware and napkins that have fall colors so why not add a personal touch, check your yard (or local craft store) then get creative and make your own napkin rings.


Fall Decorating - Houzz

Can you imagine coming home and driving up to your house with this as your view, wow if this doesn't say "Fall is Here" I don't know what does. Now you don't need some massively long grand driveway to get this look, a smaller version around a tree you might have in your front yard would make the same statement.


Fall Decorating - Houzz

I've included this picture because it reminds me of a farmhouse (love farmhouse style) and I love the circular driveway with that beautiful fall landscaping in the middle. I hope you've enjoyed this "Fall Decorating Preview" and have maybe seen something that sparks a new idea. So when ever you start getting out the fall decor, have fun and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment