Thursday, April 3, 2014

Daily Routines - Are We Truly Creatures Of Habit


I was reading an article awhile back about morning routines and realized that I had a routine but had never really given it much though. Well this got me thinking (here I go with the "Odd Ball" thoughts again) obviously everyone has a morning routine, so does this mean we also have nightly routines?

I know my husband and I have one, so I decided to take a small survey of friends and family. "The Survey Said" - Anyone for Family Feud - Seriously, here is what my survey reveled - Yes, people do have a nightly routine. The results I found were quite similar with everyone I asked.

Once arriving home from work many sat and relaxed by watching a little TV. Next was making diner followed by more TV. Showers were on the list, some taking them either shortly after arriving home while others took them before bed. Before going to bed several also got items (lunch, coffee set) ready for morning. Then it was off to bed.

Now households with children were pretty much the same with the addition of driving to various activities, getting homework done and getting things (lunch, backpacks etc.) ready for the next morning.

Now I mentioned earlier that my husband and I also have a routine. After he arrives home we have coffee and catch up on our days. Next is feed our dogs -  Make diner - Watch TV - Take the dogs out one last time - Get coffee ready for morning - Use our computers for a bit - Then bed.

My Mum who has been retired for quite a few years still has daily routines. One quick example: When she stopped working she wanted to do something that would keep the week-ends from turning into just normal days, so on Saturday mornings it's donuts and bacon on Sunday mornings. And she still does this without fail.
    Therefore I have concluded that not only do we have (and follow) morning and nightly routines but that we truly are "Creatures Of Habit".

    No comments:

    Post a Comment